In this post I will help you to choose, among the best manual espresso machines on the market 2020, the best rated, but careful, not only by Internet comments, I have also asked my friends, colleagues and family who already have espresso machines at home.
If you want to save yourself reading the whole post, I’m going to recommend my favorite manual espresso machine, and I don’t care what ratings people make about it (which aren’t bad), the rating I give the Cecotec Power Espresso 20 is very high for being versatile, economical and very easy to clean
Top 3 best manual espresso machines 2020
Cecotec Power Espresso 20
De'Longhi EC685R America Dedica
De'longhi Dedica EC685.M
A Guide to Making the Most of Hand-Held Espresso Machines at Home
First of all, I’d like to tell you that I’m a great coffee lover. My father-in-law has a coffee plantation in Colombia. In July of this year I traveled to Colombia for family reasons. From there I brought a lot of 100% natural coffee. The aroma and taste of these freshly roasted and handcrafted coffees is unbelievable!
✅ When choosing manual espresso machines, it is important that you are clear about what you want it for, or what you are going to use it for: How many people will you make coffees for? Do you have time to clean a coffee machine with a lot of “pijotadas”? Do you just want a good espresso for your latte or cappuccino? What budget do you have for the coffee machine? etc.
✅ In my case, to give you an example, I wanted an inexpensive manual espresso machine (under 100€). I didn’t want it to have a lot of maintenance, as I barely have time in the mornings. I wanted it to have a vaporizer to heat the water for the tea or the milk for the cappuccinos I love. And little more…
✅ If you want something a little more versatile, the Oster Prima Latte is a good choice. With this coffeemaker you’ll have cappuccinos instantly, just have milk in the compartment prepared for it and ready. The problem with these coffeemakers is that they have a lot more work in maintenance and cleaning than with the Cecotec, for example.
✅ If all you want to do is make a good latte in the morning, or prepare a good espresso, don’t spend so much money, buy an inexpensive coffee machine and, most importantly, learn how to make good coffees with it. When you have caught the “truquillo” you will have saved yourself a lot of money by comparing your coffee machine with the famous capsule machines that I do NOT recommend you to buy, since you will never enjoy a good coffee, no matter how much marketing is done to these machines.
Types of coffees you can make with manual espresso machines
Espresso is the basis of all coffees. Here you have the most demanded types of coffee:
- Solo or espresso coffee. It is the best known here in Spain. In other countries we must ask for it as espresso or express coffee, since it is the most popular name of this type of coffee. Espresso is of Italian origin. I would also like to tell you that espresso coffee is the basis of all types of coffee (cappuccino, mocaccino, American, etc).
- Double espresso. Same as above, but double.
- Short (ristretto, piccolo). This coffee is simply a short espresso.
- Capuccino. It’s delicious, to do it, we need an espresso more milk to 70 degrees heated with the vaporizer. The milk must be creamy and shiny.
- Latte Macchiato. One of my favorites. To make this coffee we need 70 degree steamed milk in a tall glass, and then we pour the espresso into it. We can decorate it to our liking (below I leave you a video of how I prepare it in my machine).
- Coffee with milk. It’s the typical coffee that most of the people who like this drink drink drink.
- American coffee. American coffee is an espresso with hot water.
To be able to buy a good coffee maker, first we must know all the types of coffees that we can make with the machines. Although it may seem obvious, I know that there are many people (myself included) who don’t know what types of coffees can be brewed in espresso machines.